- 4 x medium sized sweet potatoes (approx. 6oz)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil*
- 1 tsp. paprika (OPTIONAL)
- 1 handful parsely, finely chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
2) Coat a baking tray in a thin layer of oil with your fingers to ensure the potato wedges don’t stick during cooking.
3) Combine the olive oil, paprika, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together thoroughly.
4) Brush the mixture over the individual sweet potato chunks making sure the herbs are spread evenly.
5) Bake in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft. Start checking by poking a wedge with a fork after 25 minutes to check how well they have cooked so far.
HEALTH BENEFITS – Jack’s comment:
One of the killer benefits of sweet potato is the hefty serving of carotenoids (vitamin A precursors) that it contains. It is also rich in potassium, calcium, and the antioxidants quercetin and chlorogenic acid.
However, be aware that whilst you’re getting one of the healthiest carbohydrate foods (the sweet potato) and one of the healthiest fats (olive oil), this recipe contains absolutely no dietary protein. If you were to eat these wedges by themselves, you’d be eating a meal with a higher glycemic load than you probably want for optimal control of blood sugar and weight control.
So to make the meal complete, serve alongside a form of lean protein like poultry or fish.