Makes 6 medium-size cupcakes
- 70 g coconut oil
- 70 g manuka honey
- 120 g of cashew butter*
- 2 x 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 30-40 g cocoa powder
*You can use peanut butter too, which is equally as healthy. I prefer cashew butter to avoid the higher aflatoxin levels in peanuts, and because cashew butter tastes better (in my opinion)!
1) You will need a muffin/cupcake baking tray and baking cups.
2) Combine half of the coconut oil, half of the honey, and half of the cashew butter into a warm bowl. Add a dash of vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. The bowl needs to be warm to ensure the coconut oil and honey become less viscous and mix thoroughly. Carefully spoon equal portions into 10 individual baking cups to make the bottom layer of the cup cake, and ensure the mixture is flattened. Place the mixture in the freezer so that the layer solidifies
3) Combine the rest of the ingredients (exactly the same plus the cocoa powder) in another warm bowl, the same way as above, and ensure all ingredients are mixed evenly. Take the cupcake bases out of the freezer and spoon the rest of the ingredients onto the frozen bottom layers, in equal amounts. Once again put the tray back in the freezer and wait until the top layer has hardened, which should take 15-20 minutes.
4) Keep the cupcakes stored in the freezer.
HEALTH BENEFITS – Jack’s comment:
Remember that whilst this is a very healthy recipe, that doesn’t mean that you can eat as many as you want, nor is it a ‘fat-burning’ food. There’s actually no such thing as a fat burning food. And if you eat too many of these, you will still put on weight.
The idea behind a recipe like this though, is to ensure you can still have the tasty treats you love, and be healthy at the same time. All of the ingredients that go into these cup-cakes are very healthy in their own unique way, and this recipe is very rich in heart healthy monounsaturated fats and minerals from the nuts including magnesium, potassium, selenium and calcium.
There is also a high level of medium chain triglycerides, from the coconut oil, which are a great source of energy and have been used remedially for numerous chronic health conditions.