- 2 x 6oz lamb leg steaks
- 2 x 6oz free range chicken breast
- 2 x red bell peppers
- 2 x yellow bell peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 x tbsp. paprika
- 1 x tsp. cumin
- 2 x tbsp. olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
1) Add the olive oil, lemon juice, spices and herbs to a bowl. Mash up thoroughly to make the marinade.
2) Chop up the chicken and lamb into cubes (approx 1.5 inch cubed). Add the meat to the marinade and let the mixture sit for at least one hour. For best results, leave overnight.
4) Put the marinated meat and peppers on skewers, alternating between pieces. Place them under the grill for approximately 10 minutes, turning frequently to ensure one side does not get over-cooked. Keep checking after 5-7 minutes to ensure the food does not overcook – nor do you want to take it off the heat before the chicken has cooked through.
HEALTH BENEFITS – Jack’s comment:
Although red meat gets a bad rap in the media, lamb is amongst one of the healthiest protein sources available due to its moderate fat and complete protein content – and its levels of vitamin B3, vitamin B12 and zinc.
The combination with another protein source is a keen way to ensure more variability of the amino acids you’re getting from your protein. As well as this, the heart healthy effects of olive oil – the main ingredient in the marinade – are widely documented. But not so well known are the gut-healthy effects of oleic acid which is found in olive oil. This effect may be further amplified by the gut-healthy spice garlic – which has anti-parastic activity, amongst its many other health benefits.
So these meat + pepper skewers are a fantastic addition to a well-rounded diet which is high in healthy protein sources (not to mention that kebabs are awesome)!